Okay, so it's been a while since we've had an ANCILLARIES post. I used to have all of this free time to cook fun things for you...what happened?
Well, recent conversations over a favorite treat of mine prompted this adventure in candyland: the homemade Almond Joy.
Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars
What You Need:
- 1 14 oz. bag of shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 14 oz. can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla paste or extract
- 1 1/3 cups of confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup of almonds
- a little white sugar (for candying the almonds)
- 4 3.4 oz. chocolate bars (2 milk chocolate, 2 semi-sweet)
What You Do:
1. Combine the condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl, then slowly begin stirring in the confectioner's sugar. Add small amounts at a time, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the coconut, then cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture until it is firm (about an hour).
2. While the mixture chills, lightly toast your almonds in a skillet with sugar and set them to cool on wax paper.
3. Remove your coconut mixture from the refrigerator and roll it into little bars - think about shaping the pieces into the size of those small "fun size" candy bars.
4. Press your toasted almonds into the top of each coconut bar.
5. Melt your milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate together in a double-boiler (or in a a metal bowl over a saucepan of boiling water). Roll each coconut bar in the chocolate to coat the outside. Tap off the excess chocolate and place the bar on a wax-paper lined plate.
6. Refrigerate the candy bars for at least 2 hours to allow the chocolate to set.
oh. my. god. why weren't we invited over this particular evening???
Good gracious, those look good!
you are always invited
Post a Comment