Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce
PUMPKIN PROSCIUTTO FILLING:
2 cups of pumpkin mush
1 tablespoon of butter
1/4-pound of prosciutto (chopped in small pieces)
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
salt and pepper
1. Over medium-high heat, warm the pumpkin mush and butter.
2. Stir in the prosciutto and 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh sage. Cook for a few minutes as you keep stirring.
3. Reduce the heat to low and add the heavy cream and parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir until the filling is reduced to about half of the original amount.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the ricotta cheese and nutmeg. Set the mixture aside to cool.
5. When cool, you can use the filling in your favorite pasta or use wonton wrappers. We used square wonton wrappers and folded them into triangles, sealing the edges with water. To cook, drop the raviolis into boiling water and cook for just a few minutes until they float.
BROWN BUTTER SAGE SAUCE:
For the sauce, I used a recipe by my friend Mario.
Butter and Sage Sauce
by Mario Batali:
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 8 sage leaves
* 1/2 lemon, juiced
* 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
While your pasta cooks, melt butter in a 12 to 14-inch saute pan and continue cooking until golden brown color ("noisette") appears in the thinnest liquid of the butter. Add sage leaves and remove from heat. Add lemon juice and set aside. Drain the pasta, but leaving some cooking water, and gently pour into saute pan and return to heat. Add the cheese, toss to coat and serve immediately.
** I didn't use the lemon (because I forgot to buy it) and I used regular parmesan cheese.